When planning a News Release you should answer the following questions:
- What is the subject of the message? What is the focus?
- Who is the message designed for?
- What is in it for this particular audience? Potential benefits/rewards?
- What goal is the organization pursuing? Purpose of the organization?
- What do you want to achieve?
- What key messages should be highlighted in the news release?
Types of News Releases include:
- Announcements- personnel appointments, promotions, new products, reports, employment opportunities, etc.
- Spot Announcements- when an outside action happens to an organization
- Reaction Releases- when an event has an impact on the organization
- Bad News- to suppress news that will reflect badly on them
- Local News- the presence of a local angle
Six Basic Components of a News Release:
- lead paragraph
- body of text
You want to convince editors and reporters to cover an event or do a story.