Publicist: a public relations writer who writes and places stories in the media
Publicity: the resulting coverage
What Makes News?
- Timeliness- news must be current
- Prominence- is a prominent person with “star power” involved?
- Proximity- local angles
- Significance- can it affect a substantial number of people?
- Unusualness- out of the ordinary
- Human Interest- people like reading about other people
- Conflict- reporters often fuel controversy
- Newness- constantly search for something new
Tactics for Generating News:
- top 10 lists
- special appearances
- special events
- product demonstrations
The key step in preparing publicity is becoming familiar as possible with the company or organization.